[MusicTlk] Sonar vs Reaper

Chip McCain chip at chipandtracy.com
Sat Jun 9 16:43:30 UTC 2018

Hi,
I've not tried Reaper, though it has been on my list of things to get
around to. I do know a couple of things though that might help. It appears
to make reaper accessible you have to install a couple of helper
applications depending on the screen reader you're using. There's a full
explaination available at the reaper wiki. Since I've been using Sonar
since the days of DOS and Cakewalk V3.0 I'm just set in my ways I guess.
Learning a new DAW doesn't seem to be in my time table at the moment.
There's a couple of things to consider. Sonar 8.5.3 is still the most
accessible version of Sonar. There's free JAWS scripts called JSonar
available, as well as the commercial package CakeTalking which I
understand is very good as well. I can't speak to it's accessibility with
NVDA, however Window-eyes works well with it. Also as bill points out
you'll need to be running Windows7. With that said, keep in mind that
Gibson Guitars has shut down Sonar and at this time, unless someone steps
up to buy Sonar, it will no longer be developed. On the one hand that
doesn't matter since version 8.5.3 is far from the latest version.

I don't know your situation, what insturments you'll be using, if MIDI is
important, keyboard definitions etc. I can say that I just like Sonar. If
I can help you in any way to better make an informed decision let me know.
But to do that I'd need to know more about what you're trying to do. Sonar
and Reaper are completely different beast and really the only comparison
that I can see in the two is that they are both DAWS. Good luck and happy
music making