[MusicTlk] Introduction and a Couple of Questions

Sarah Meyer sarah.meyer55 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 16:06:18 UTC 2018

Hello!

I'm new to this list but not new to the Federation. :) I wanted to
introduce myself and to ask a few questions.

I have been singing for as long as I can remember, and I started
playing piano when I was almost 4 years old (I'm nearing 30 now). I
only took piano lessons for about 5 years when I was little, so I've
mostly now just played by ear and learning from YouTube videos. I have
written some songs and hope to write more. I've also started learning
to play the guitar, though this is very slow going.

Here are my questions:
1. I recently bought myself a new keyboard; it's a Cassio Privia 160.
It's an 88-key and what I love about it is that it has weighted keys.
I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about this keyboard and how to
navigate the settings on it. I found the manual online but am having
trouble making sense of the instructions. Above the keys, there is a
row of buttons: the power button, the volume control dial, a function
button, a start/stop /demo button, a record button, metronome/duet
button, a grand piano (concert) button, grand piano (modern) button,
and grand piano (electric) button. There are apparently 18 different
tones or sounds that this piano can make by pressing the function
button with a certain corresponding key from the keyboard. I tried it
yesterday and was able to find a different tone but can't figure out a
system to it. According to the manual, there are also numbers you can
enter for the pre-recorded songs if you want to practice playing
along. Pressing the function key in combination with keyboard keys
seems to be the method for adjusting the metronome tempo, splitting
the keyboard into duet mode, operating the two-track recorder, and
more. What I'm wondering is if anyone has experience with this model
and its accessibility.

2. I am also wondering if anyone has any recommendations for learning
the guitar. I know a few chords, and that's it. I started to learn to
read Braille music a few years ago but didn't get very far, and as a
grad student (not studying music professionally), I unfortunately
don't have the time to invest in learning a whole new code right now
and will need to learn by ear. I've heard of the Bill Brown resources,
but it appears that the very introductory or basic foundational
book/CD is not on BARD. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance, and I hope you have a blessed day!

Sarah

--
Sarah K. Meyer
Graduate Student, Clinical Mental Health Counseling
sarah.meyer55 at gmail.com
(317)402-6632

characteristic that defines you or your future. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back. Together with love,
hope, and determination, we transform dreams into reality.