[MusicTlk] XML format

BillList1 billlist1 at verizon.net
Tue May 22 13:15:09 UTC 2018

Right, the Lime notation editor software that is a key component of the GoodFeel suite from Dancing Dots can import MusicXML files thereby making them immediately accessible for speech, braille, and magnification users.  But something has to convert the original pdf to MusicXML format.  Lime cannot open or import PDF documents.

One promising application is PDFToMusic Pro.  Sometimes, it does a great job but sometimes it does not.
http://www.myriad-online.com/en/products/pdftomusicpro.htm

Some pdf documents are printed from a music notation program like Finale or Sibelius.  Ideally, instead of printing to pdf, the creator of those scores could export to MusicXML instead.  That is, Finale, Sibelius and over one-hundred other notation programs can now export to MusicXML format directly.  MusicXML export has become a standard feature.  Users of Sibelius and Finale can also download and install the free Dolet plug-in for exporting MusicXML.  We have found that, in many cases, Dolet creates more detailed MusicXML scores.
https://www.musicxml.com/

SharpEye Music Reader, the music OCR program that is a component of the suites of accessible music notation we supply, cannot read pdf format directly.  Users must first convert pdf to the tiff image format.  There are some free and paid tools to make that conversion.  The Tiff Image Printer from Peernet.com works very well.

The music scanning applications for Finale and Sibelius, SmartScore and PhotoScore respectively, both can read and scan pdf documents directly.  But, as with any OCR process, scanning errors are inevitable.  We blind musicians will need a sighted assistant who can refer to the original score and make necessary corrections for us before the any resulting MusicXML can be of use to us.

In the best of all possible worlds, publishers would make the MusicXML version of their scores available to those of us who need to access that information in an alternative format.  Those kinds of arrangements are already happening on an informal basis.  That is, a good number of our customers already have successfully persuaded some publishers to supply them with MusicXML versions of pdf or hardcopy scores for which they have already paid.

Bill McCann
Dancing Dots