[MusicTlk] XML format

Mike Jolls mrspock56 at hotmail.com
Wed May 23 12:49:05 UTC 2018

Hi Ned

The short answer to your questions about converting scanned music (or music in a PDF) is … if you know how to phrase your search in Google, it looks like you can find solutions for taking scanned music and creating MusicXML files.  Here’s what I found when I did this.

I searched for something like … “convert scanned music to XML” or something similar.  Music aside for a second, I am amazed by the software technology that can parse an input phrase such as this, figure out what the user is asking for, and then returning correct results.  This is no easy computing task.

Onto answering the question.  When I searched for this, I found a couple of interesting things.

First, here is the link to a website I found so you can go check it out

https://www.scoringnotes.com/news/musitek-introduces-smartscore-music-to-xml-a-pdf-music-scanning-converter/

The product named on the page is called SmartScore Music-toXML.  There is also a version called SmartScore Pro.

Apparently, it will take a PDF, or separate TIF image sheets, which contain scanned music pages, and create a MusicXML file with those pages.

If I’m understanding the website I’ve named above correctly, the Pro version will give you the ability to edit your MusicXML file.  I’m not sure what that means, to what degree you can do that, or how accessible the editor is, but the site says you can do that with the Pro version.  The non-Pro version does not allow this.  It just takes the scanned music and creates MusicXML files.

As you can see, I didn’t go any further.  The fact that Google returned this result says that there are programs out there that can do this.  With a little creativity in your search phrase, you can probably find more.

Hope this helps.

Mike Jolls