[MusicTlk] Perfect pitch question

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Oct 12 17:46:57 UTC 2018

Kathryn,

I have not been blessed with perfect pitch, but I do have a couple of
observations.  First, I have heard from others that their perfect pitch
seems less accurate as they get older.  If yours changed suddenly, though,
this is probably not the issue for you.  I have very good relative pitch,
meaning that if I know the key of a tone, I can quickly know the key of
other tones.  I have noticed that if I have an ear or sinus infection that
sometimes the same pitch can sound as much as a half step different in one
ear than what I hear in the other.  This leads me to believe that changes in
the ear can have an effect on how a pitch is actually heard.  In my case,
this may have involved the nerves in the innter ear, but didn't involve the
brain as such.  Sometimes a loud tone has a lightly different pitch than a
softer one does for me.  You might experiment with the volume and also see
if both ears result in the same pitch being heard.  Also, the problem went
away for me when the infection cleared up, but that doesn't mean that some
sort of permanent change couldn't take place.

Unless you can tie this problem with some sort of more obvious health issue,
you might have difficulty getting health care coverage for having this
checked out, unless of course it is getting worse.  If you can remember
having some kind of ear infection around the time this happened, that could
have played a part in this.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson