[MusicTlk] Instrumental and solo music

Mike Jolls mrspock56 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 13 00:23:45 UTC 2019

Kirk

Here are my thoughts on your comments.  Tommy Emmanuel (absolutely no disrespect to him whatsoever) is old school.  He grew up in the time of Chet Atkins, decided that he liked what Chet was playing (and the way he was playing), and that inspired him to go the route that he went.  He was a product of that generation, just as I was and am.

What I was saying was that somewhere along the line, that genre has been dropped.  Based on what I’ve heard in recent years, new musicians aren’t carrying on with that art form.  Is it too difficult?  Is there too much to learn?  Are kids these days unwilling to put the work and sweat into it that would be required to play things like Atkins and Emmanuel play?  What they did looked easy.  It is not.

Certainly there are some serious musicians today, I won’t say there aren’t.  But, the art form of the soloist and instrumentalist has, in my view, died on the vine so to speak.

Another thing I’ll comment on is what you said in your reply … that artists today write songs with a few chords.  That’s something else I’ve DEFINITELY noticed.  The complexity, color, and creativity that artists such as Emmanuel and Atkins once put into their work would seem to have died also.  That implies a lack of knowledge about music in general by today’s artists.  I wasn’t going to say that from the “get-go” because then I’d really be sounding like an old fogie … “those young whipper-snappers ……”.