[MusicTlk] Instrumental and solo music

Humberto Avila humberto_avila.it104 at outlook.com
Wed Feb 13 00:51:14 UTC 2019

Hello Mike,
Your "philosophical" question is an awesome one to ask. Yes, I can agree with you, definitely, on some aspects of your comments.
I am only in my late 20s and yes, I still love the instrumental genre as much as those of you who aren't as youthful. Anyways, it is probably one of my most favorite kinds of music to listen to and play as well. Sadly, however, it does seem to have gone away. At least, that music isn't as mainstream anymore as it was 50, or even 30 years ago.
I listen to a radio program in my local Oldies FM station, called American Top 40, and from what I have noticeed, at least, during the 1970s, there were sometimes many instrumental acts showing up in the Top 40 chars which means that, yes, people were listening to and buying that stuff, hence being also played on the radio. Today, I tune in to my local Top 40 hit station and there is 0.00% of instrumental music, only those beat'-enducing, two-to-three chord style hiphop that is only I guess, generated by complicated computer synthesiser algorithms. Even today's live audiences don't seem to care that much about the lovely sound of instrumental music.
It's not all dead though, like how Don McLeen said in his famous song The Day the Music died. I guess you can always use a streaming service like Spodify and Pandora, and search for instrumental music. You may also find instrumentals around on iTunes and other music-downloading services, but I myself haven't had that much luck, but I know if one searches deeply enough there is.
I think this is a great artform that should never go away. I think in general, music is being watered down, but you would say that for many other industries like food today, and yes, I hope something can be done about this soon. For those of us who love instrumental music, there are always a vast array of media platforms to keep it alive, like Youtube and SoundCloud, to name a few... that's what's awesome about our technology and the many services the Internet offers us today, taylored to our needs.

At any rate, enough of my lecture, and I hope you do have a very pleasant day today.
Sincerely,
Humberto