[MusicTlk] Writing reviews for classical music recordings

Chris Nusbaum cnusbaumnfb at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 22:44:37 UTC 2019

Hi Sarah:

Perhaps the best way for him to get his foot in the door is to self-publish his material before affiliating himself with another distributor. Specifically, I'm thinking he can start a blog and/or YouTube channel on which he can publish his reviews. If his posts get noticed enough, other publications might want to pick him up. Remember too that, especially in the case of YouTube, content creators can make money off of their videos based on the number of views and subscribers they get.

One more thing: I would encourage your friend to think beyond writing reviews. As I mentioned previously, YouTube is a great way for people to get noticed online. Also, radio stations often look for people to record brief music reviews to be aired during breaks between songs. I'm a frequent listener of NPR, and have noticed that some of their shows have hired various critics who are consulted on music, movies, books, etc, sometimes on a weekly basis. Your friend might want to contact classical stations in his area to see if they would be interested in airing his reviews.

I hope these ideas help. This is a very interesting idea, and I hope I'll be able to read or hear his reviews in the future!

Chris Nusbaum