[MusicTlk] Choir Conducting

Sandra Gayer sandragayer7 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 21:10:37 UTC 2022

Hello,
I only conducted a large choir once; for experience. I conducted small
vocal groups, more ensemble or chamber group work. I use Braille Music
so relied heavily on that. It isn't necessary to memorise everyone's
parts but you would do well to know them all comfortably enough not to
have to need to read every note, so you can hear all the interweaving
of lines, knowing if someone is off or not. If you know a sighted
conductor, talk to them in person and get them to show you, hand over
hand, the gestures. This is how I learned it although the person who
taught me was blind as well but had been sighted previously. I used to
write a decent amount of music for singers and players. It's easy to
know the ins and outs when you've written them yourself. Conductors
talk a lot during rehearsals anyway, to explain the sound they want.
Gesture is a small yet crucial part of the job. Inspiring people to do
what needs doing is the key to becoming a successful conductor. That
and good administrative skills for getting everyone print copies of
the music, booking rehearsal spaces, ensuring performance
opportunities for your musicians.

Good luck!
Very best wishes,
Sandra.