[MusicTlk] Music platforms

Chris Nusbaum cnusbaumnfb at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 22:01:34 UTC 2022

Hi Peter:

To add to what Ignasi has already told you, the trouble with what you are trying to do with Skype is that Skype's audio compression doesn't support the quality required to play music. Even if you have professional equipment, Skype compresses the audio on the receiving end, creating either a wall of sound or a distorted product or both. Either way, you simply won't get performance-quality music through Skype.

Incidentally, the same can be said to a lesser extent of Zoom's compression. However, you have the option in Zoom of turning on the "original sound" feature, which feeds the audio into the Zoom meeting exactly as it is coming out of your mic, without any compression. This is important if you have an external mic and you want to be heard clearly and in stereo.

Hope this helps!

Chris