[MusicTlk] I'd like to have a civil, nonjudgemental discussion about audio production techniques, if we can manage to do so.

Chris Nusbaum cnusbaumnfb at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 22:50:58 UTC 2022

Hi Chris:

You have challenged us to have a "civil, nonjudgmental discussion" about
audio production, and I hope that you agree with my assessment that those
who have responded thus far have risen to that challenge very well. As a
leader in the NFB Performing Arts Division, which sponsors this list, I have
been giving a lot of thought recently to how we can facilitate a place where
blind sound engineers can share tips, tricks and experiences with each
other. Like you, however, I know from my own experience in this field that
opinions on how various things should be done differ widely, and a
discussion that starts out as a healthy debate can turn unhealthy if one
isn't careful. So, I for one am glad to see the positive spirit in which
this discussion is taking place, and I hope it can be a harbinger of things
to come.

Now for a few comments of my own in answer to your questions. I should first
qualify my statements by saying that my production experience is in
podcasting and radio, while my musical experience is in performance. So I
recognize that my kind of production and yours are different in many ways.
However, I think the general principles you are asking about apply to both.
Specifically, I think the concept that "less is more" is as applicable to
editing a podcast or producing a radio show as it is to mixing a track.
Until very recently, I used Goldwave for everything. I'm now in the process
of learning Reaper through a course recommended to me by a fellow blind
broadcaster. As I'm sure many on this list know, Reaper has many more
capabilities than Goldwave, and in many cases is more precise in its
editing. However, I'm sure I won't use all the features I learn in every
project, and I may never use some of them at all. Even as I go through this
process, there will be internal debates between my radio colleagues, with
some telling me I'm wasting my time with Reaper and should switch to a Mac
if I ever hope to do any serious production, while others counter that
getting a board and setting up a studio will make life easier on everyone
involved. I think these debates are worth having because I learn something
from them and they build collaborative relationships--as long as they stay,
in your words, "civil (and) nonjudgmental."

I would like to make a final comment which I think is important to both
performance and production. In my opinion, it's important to look at a
project from the bigger picture first, then work through the small details
second. In the end, all that matters to an audience is how the final product
sounds. If your experience is anything like mine, once you figure out what
you want that final product to sound like, remembering that your audience
isn't primarily made up of musicians and audio engineers, you may find that
all the technical details you were thinking about at first aren't as
important as you thought they were.

In conclusion, your post has pointed up the very aspect of the audio
production field that makes it at once interesting and frustrating: there
are as many philosophies about how to do it as there are people who do it.
But, on second thought, perhaps the same can be said of many other subjects:
performance, songwriting, and blindness skills, among many, many others.
Thanks for starting an interesting dialogue; I look forward to seeing where
it goes.

Warmly,

Chris Nusbaum