[nabentre] Grant Writers

Homme, James james.homme at highmark.com
Mon Sep 19 10:42:41 UTC 2011

Hi Everett,
Thanks for this.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: nabentre-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nabentre-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Everett Gavel
Sent: Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:54 AM
To: nabentre at nfbnet.org
Subject: Re: [nabentre] Grant Writers

Hi Jim, and all,

Jim, there are tons of opportunities out there for you
to get paid for writing. Sounds like you have some
background so that should prove helpful, too. You might
be a perfect fit for the numerous job opps I see nearly
every day looking for technical writers to write
manuals, guides, etc., or to understand them and put
them in a more user-friendly, beginner-style frame of
English, y'know?

You can get paid to write grants, yes. You can also get
paid nickels & dimes per word for blogging, and
quarters on up to a dollar and more per word, for
articles, columns, how-to helpers, even fillers. A
couple of sites you can find out more at, which have
tons of free articles to read and free newsletters
worth subbing to are:

www.writing-world.com (categorized articles in their
'Index' section)

www.FundsForWriters.com (newsletters)

Start there, and don't get overwhelmed. Just know that
today's world of writing is huge into the Freelance
market. Even magazines like Car & Driver, Entrepreneur,
Good Housekeeping, & Redbook pay Freelancers  for their
writing (and pay well). Most any glossy magazine you'll
find on a newsstand pays $1 per word or more. Redbook
is actually the best paying I know of right now. Last I
checked they paid $2500 for an 800-word article. That's
more than $3 per word. ;-)

Nonfiction pubs pay better than fiction pubs. It's just
a fact, like it or not. But fiction writers can get
paid by hundreds if not thousands of publications out
there as well. Often it's only pennies, sometimes dimes
per word, though. But hey, it's still pay, if that's
what someone wants or needs. Me, I'm way beyond that
stereotypical crap of writing for the muse, or writing
just to write, for the love of it, blah, blah, blah.
One can write, and if they truly write in any even
half-decent fashion, can share their beloved craft with
the masses to bless them - and still get paid for it.
;-)

There are thousands of newspaper sources that you can
get paid to write for as well, and it's often easier to
start out that way if you've got the frame of mind for
it. The large majority of newspapers are dailies, and
so need far more content than a 12-times-per-year
magazine. And quite honestly, it's easier to get into
the glossies and other pubs paying $1 or more per word,
if you  have a few published "clips" from almost
anywhere else, including the newspapers. Newspapers
don't pay much, but those clips are yuor resume and
definitely help you get into the better paying pubs,
quicker.

Lastly, I'll again suggest to any reading this to
simply go to my Writers Resources page for tons of
resources -- article databases, publication ('Market")
databases, job listing resources, and more -- at
www.everettgavel.com/writers_resources.html. It hasn't
been added to in about 6 months, but there's tons of
useful stuff there for you, still.

Strive On, Writer!
Everett