[nabentre] getting started:a few questions/ideas

Peter Mikochik mikochik at panix.com
Wed Feb 26 16:00:11 UTC 2014

hi

i have done web hosting and design since 1995.
i am a grandaddy of blind computer guys, starting programming computers in 1978.

i recently closed my web hosting business and farmed out my customers to my web designers.

be careful if you are a 'hard core' tech. you may find web design very boring. it does not have any of the challenges of programming, it is not much more than advanced word processing.

from a practical standpoint, most business customers will not use the 'control panel'.
if they are advanced enough to even understand what the 'control panel' is for then they may not need you.
the majority of my customers wanted everyting to be done for them.
they were business people and not interested in how the web site got there, just that it was there.

what i did to offer people with simple needs a very good deal was to buy a hosting account that had aliasing capabilities.
this way i could sub-divide the space between 10 domains. it did not matter that each customers domains were part of a group, it functioned as individual sites. the customers did not have logon priveledges, but they did not care because i managed all aspects of their site and could do it for a fraction of the cost.

for customers who needed php programming or mysql data base, i would get a hosting account for them for it's cost and i would make my money doing the programming and set up.

it was easy for me to find people who were interested in doing web design so i would farm out the accounts to them.
so the designers would make the pages and i would write the php and data base stuff. so that was a win/win for both of us.

if you are a hardware person you may be interested in setting up your own servers, but i found the the cost and time necessary to be prohibivited.
i saw it better for me to find a hosting company that had a unix based server to be more accessible forme to manage.
using terminal mode on a mac or ssh or telnet on a windows computer is still a very accessible alternative.

ios developement is another issue.
i do believe so far that i may be the only totally blind person who has sucessfully made an app without any sighted assistance, but now with the new changes in xcode hopefully there may be more.

pete mikochik