[nabentre] New Policy-Based Consumer Research About Online Accessibility Issues

Lauren Merryfield lauren at catlines.com
Mon Apr 10 05:09:34 UTC 2017

Hi,
I also took the survey. I felt the stress of the issue of spending hours and
hours on letting companies know how crappy their websites really are for
JAWS-users, and probably other speech systems, too. I usually do let the
company know that they have a problem, because, usually, they do not even
know that. Often I am not techy-minded enough to tell them what the problem
is but I refer them to someone who could help them. I don't always know if
they ever do anything or not.

WF'S site is terrible! I'm trying to get out of my account there but they're
not letting me have my money! I can't believe it. But I'm not done with
them. If I end up with an account with nothing in it, just sitting there,
that's how it goes. They're never getting my money again, not even my social
security retirement.

Walmart's site is messier than it could be. Target's, (and they supposedly
had a lot of help improving it) still isn't very good. eBay keeps claiming
to be accessible but they have a glitch in checkout. Amazon changes things
every 5 seconds so one time you think you know what to do and by the time
you come back, it's different; and inaccessible.

What really bugs me though is the captcha popularity. I mean, some companies
have perfectly readable functionable sites except for that. And that one
problem can shut blind people out completely. I'm dealing with Shopify on
that right now.

Several companies I frequent, whose websites are *terrible* I deal with over
the phone. Quite often they refer me to the website and don't want to help
me extra. I get firm with them about how, if they're not going to have a
decently-working website, the least they could do is provide optional
customer service, and, if they want my business, they really would do well
to work with me. Usually they do. I have had to get a supervisor a few
times.

I can't even think of anyone's website we could use as a good example for
others. I mean, most of them are good, bad examples, in one way or another.
I don't know how so many can go so wrong on accessibility. However, I do
know that the whole issue never occurs to most of the companies. It's like
we don't even exist.

So I think the clearinghouse site with listings of whose sites are good and
whose are not and why and how to reach them, is a good one. Companies could
eventually learn they are being judged and don't want to get a bad mark on
the "whatever" site. Like the BBB; people want good scores on that site. So
they will need to think similarly to your site once you get it up and going.
One place for us to send complaints to on particularly company sites, would
be good, too. I think in the UK they are doing more to get accessibility
compliance across the board.

I sure hope that people who know more than I do on this subject will bite
the bullet and do something about it because it's getting worse; not better;
let me tell you. And if we lose net neutrality, it'll get even worse.
Thanks,
Lauren Merryfield
Blessings in Jesus' name. "But as for me, I will sing about your power. Each
morning I will sing with joy about your unfailing love. For you have been my
refuge, a place of safety when I am in distress."
   --Psalm 59:16, NLT
Advice from my cats:"meow when you feel like it."