[nabentre] New Policy-Based Consumer Research About Online Accessibility Issues

Brandon Keith Biggs brandonkeithbiggs at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 03:46:25 UTC 2017

Hello Alex,
I filled out your survey.
Some notes:
I have seen so many websites that are not user friendly, I get apathetic
because if I did anything, it would be all I did. There was a period in my
life when I was spending at leaste 4 hours a day contacting websites that I
wanted to use, reporting bugs and asking for a better UX. It got so bad
that one day I decided  I would stop, change my major in college and start
learning about why the designers at Amazon, Wells Fargo and so many other
big businesses are complete idiots and design sites that are slow, hard to
use, crash, have a lot of HTML **** all over them, are on legacy frameworks
and why the accessibility professionals put up with their business's ****.
I'm still looking for an answer to these questions and I hope I will get
the answer soon.
But literally tonight, I was dealing with 5 websites and every single one
ranked about a 4/10 in accessibility and a 2/10 in UX. One was Wells Fargo,
another was Google Chrome, Another was Quickbooks Online, another was
Amazon and the last was Google hangouts.
I just said I had it for the day and started closing my tabs, then saw your
survey. It was a nice release  after dealing with all those sites.
I think one of these days (soon) I will start a site where people can rate
the accessibility and UX of a website or product so other people can see
what the best sites are. Also so companies can see how they are ranked by
their users.
I would use this site for almost everything. But currently, what
alternitives are there to Amazon? What alternitives are there to Wells
Fargo if your whole family but you uses WF and you work in a family
business? I use Bank of America which is OK, but Wells Fargo is a piece of
**** because they put out a broken site and refuse to fix it. I'm not too
confident in winning a lawsuit against them because technically, I can use
it, it just is terrible. I just sometimes wish sighted developers would use
their own products for two days. I guarantee that they could fix most of
the problems in 2 hours and their sites would become 500 times easier to
use. The sad part is, this is not a screen reader problem, it is everyone's
problem. I Use Quickbooks Online and much of its problem is that it is
built on Dojo which is an old framework. I could probably sit down and
build a QBO clone if I had 2 months of freetime and currently all the tools
are there to do it. My clone would be faster, more maintainable , more
accessible and could work online and offline. Intuit is crazy and they are
losing lots of business to other accounting platforms because they are so
badly designed.
To be honest, I don't know what to do to fix this onward rush into less
accessibility on the web. Over the last 10 years, websites have become less
and less accessible. The tools to make amazing and accessible sites are in
HTML5, but no one seems to know how to use them. You know it is bad when
the Angular2 tutorial uses HTML5 incorrectly.
All the accessibility professionals seem to go to tons of conferences
rather than actually fix their company's products. One of these days, I may
apply to be an accessibility lead at a big company and then see what is all
the difficulty. (I would probably get fired the second day for chewing out
the lead developer or CEO on why their product is so badly designed).
But the topic of your disertation is not just about shopping, but deals
with sites and apps in everything. Most of the time, I don't know any
alternitives and already know my work-arounds.
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs <http://brandonkeithbiggs.com/>