[nabentre] Getting Rid of Middlemen

Mary ellen gabias at telus.net
Tue Feb 20 20:47:22 UTC 2018

Yes, I believe the Houston Lighthouse still operates its medical
transcription program.  I don't know how much work they have, but it would
be worth contacting them.  I know someone who worked for them from out of
state.

There's another company that hires transcriptionists to work from home from
anywhere in the country.  I'll check with a friend who has worked for them
and get contact info.

Medical transcription is a declining field because voice recognition
software permits doctors to dictate but have rough draft transcriptions
generated via computer.  In those cases, the transcriptionist primarily
edits the computer generated transcripts.   I've heard some of the errors
made by the computer can be more than a little funny.

Then again, I've heard some embarrassing human transcription errors, too.
One woman was typing "The patient was draped and prepped."  Unfortunately,
she left off the initial D in the word "draped."  Red faces all around, but
no lawsuits based on a typo.