[nABEntre] New to the list and wondering if this is an official division of the Nfb

Mary Ellen gabias at telus.net
Wed Aug 5 20:46:04 UTC 2020

Dear Asanda,

This list is for anyone wanting to discuss all things entrepreneurial.

At one time the NFB had an entrepreneur division.  We quickly discovered
that the variety of enterprises that interested blind people was truly
expansive.  We also discovered that people intent on starting new
enterprises had little excess time for the organizational work of keeping a
division vibrant.  Since this list was always one of the most popular
projects of the division, it remains available to people even though the
division itself no longer exists.

However, there is very good news.  The National Association of Blind
Merchants, which used to focus entirely on venders in the Randolph-Sheppard
Program has expanded its reach as many venders have expanded what they do
beyond the limits of traditional vending.

For example, BLAST had become a conference touching all aspects of
entrepreneurism as well as self development. I say "had," because Covid-19
slammed on the brakes.  Nobody knows for certain what the next iteration of
a business conference for blind people will shape up to be.  It's an
exciting imaginative process, thinking creatively and optimistically.
Optimism and creativity have always been hallmarks of blind individuals, and
the way the NFB managed our virtual convention demonstrates that both traits
are thriving within the Federation.  I hope that BLAST, or BLAST, The Next
Generation, will be with us soon.

Until then, welcome to this list.  It's fairly low traffic, but I've learned
quite a bit about topics I didn't know existed, let alone interested me.  I
find it a gently paradigm expanding experience.

Mary Ellen