[nabop] career information

Peter Russillo petlonann at samobile.net
Fri Jun 19 00:10:11 UTC 2009

Hi Sarah.  I'm Peter Russillo, a Braille proofreader in Stuart,
Florida.  As far as customer service, what kind of company or office
are you thinking of?  As far as training for that, try contacting your
local chapter of National Federation of the Blind.  (Note:  Any Texans,
can you let Sarah know where her chapter is?)  Where in Texas do you live?

As far as Braille proofreading:  have you taken the Braille
proofreading certification course from National Library Service for the
Blind?  To work as a proofreader you usually need to be certified by
NLS for it; some printing houses may hire you as long as you show
proficiency on any test they give to potential hires in the
proofreading department, and you actively (that's the key word,
actively), work on the certification.  If you want info about the
printing house where I work please reply to me off-list at

petlonann at samobile.net

and I can tell you about Braille International, Inc., and I'm sure they
might consider you; I can give you the contact info for you to get in
touch and take a test.  The salaries vary with the employer, so you can
ask any company whom you contact.

I hope this has been helpful; again if you want to know about Braille
International here in Stuart, Florida, please don't hesitate to contact
me off list.  Again that's

petlonann at samobile.net

Thanks; I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours truly,

Peter Russillo