[nabop] career information

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 25 02:13:44 UTC 2009

Hi Sara,
We didn't hear what you did or what you're looking into.  Have you decided
which field and what training you'll do?

What's your associates in?
Your first question regarding
customer service caught my attention as I was thinking of trying it too.  I
graduated with a BA from Marymount with inter disiplinary studies meaning I
studied a couple filds to make a major; I did social science and
communication.
I almost majored in psychology but for me some of the courses seemed too
challenging since they're so analytical like statistics.

Customer service is a good big field.  Which companies or industry are you
thinking of?
For me I was thinking a hotel because I can answer questions over the phone
and deal with the public rather than sitting at a computer quietly.

Regarding customer service training many places offer it.  No one can say
where is "best to train" as it depends on your individual needs and what you
want from it.  I think you should call several places and investagate.  The
Criss Cole rehab center may offer it; I know our rehab center in Virginia
offers such a course.
I don't know who has trained at Lions World; wonder if its any good.  Some
places will expect more than others
The nfb colorado center has a program.
Other private centers do too.  The Cleveland Sight Center has one.  The
website is www.clevelandsightcenter.org.  You can call with questions since
the website says very little about it.
Another place you might inquire is the Carrol Center for the Blind in Newton
MA.  They do many career things and may do this.
I'd like to hear more about this field too.  Where did you train?  I'm sure
you got training on the job too. What accomodations do you have?  Many jobs
of this type have databases where you enter the customer's data.  Is that
fully accessible?  I use jaws.
What qualifications do you need to have an entry level job?  I'd imagine
some college prefered, people skills, and ability to write and speak well.

Thanks.
Ashley