[nabop] medical transcription, court reporter careers

Kurt Edwin Yount blsmass at juno.com
Sat Jul 31 21:09:02 UTC 2010

I have been a MT for over 25 years and I would no longer suggest it as a
career.  You will probably end up working for 7-9 cents a line and it is
very difficult to make a real living at that rate.  I used to work in a
hospital where I made a lot more, but those days are mostly gone.  As for
court reporting, (and this is only my impression) they use a specialized
machine and symbols you must learn and it can take literally years to get
up to the speeds they need and I am not certain such devices have been
adapted for the blind but I doubt it.  Sorry to be so discouraging, but
whereas I used to love my job, I now still love it, but the stress levels
are so high trying to know everything you need to know and get sold so
cheap by the "sweat shops" that I would not recommend it anymore.  Kurt