[nabop] Hi, I'm new to the list

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 12 03:21:52 UTC 2012

Leslie,
I'm a recent graduate with a BA degree and I am also feeling out the
workforce; kind of hard with the economy and I'd say receptionist jobs are
not as common as they used to be. I'm looking for general office work as an
administrative or communication assistant.
I don't mean to sound negative but I don't think you will know what line is
showing up on a phone. Its quiet; you need to see the light.
I don't think it emits enough heat for you to feel the light.
Yes, even phones are more visual now. Every internship I had in college had,
you know what? A screen! It was a caller ID; so you can look at it to tell
who is calling. I also think it displayed something about if you had a
message. I could check messages another way so that wasn't  a problem. I
could not read the screen, so all phone calls were a surprise to me.
I might do reception work if I'm offered a job, but I don't see openings for
that work now a days.
I think you would be better off with a small organization without a multi
line phone system so this situation doesn't arise.
I'm actually going to begin volunteering covering the front desk so I'm
performing receptionist role.
I have some vision, so I see the colored buttons, but I cannot read the
names.
Colors indicate functions like hold.
You transfer calls and each button in a certain section of the phone
depending on what the caller wants. Its one button means a different office.
I'm planning to memorize  as much as possible.

One issue you may run into is how to check IDS. I'd ask a blind person about
that. I heard there is a device now that can scan all IDs. So if so, this
may help you tackle that barrier.
As for a typical day, you could ask any receptionist that; they don't have
to be blind. From what I've heard, days really vary; some are busy; some are
boring.
This list is quiet so I don't know if you'll find a receptionist. If not,
check AFB career connect for a career mentor.

Good luck,
Ashley