[nabop] Advice on performing general office tasks

Stephanie Pieck themusicsuite at verizon.net
Wed May 6 22:37:20 UTC 2015

Hi,

I am a clerk in New York State's Office of Temporary and Disability
Assistance office in Albany, and many of these tasks are things I either do
in that capacity or for my "other" job as an independent piano teacher.

Scanning/copying: If you are using a shared printer/scanner/copier in your
office, ask a colleague to show you the basics, like where paper will come
out when printing from the computer or making copies. Also, if you're lucky,
the machine will have buttons which you can label in Braille or with some
other tactile/visual markings that work for you. Familiarize yourself with
the series of buttons you'll need to accomplish various tasks--I took notes
and just keep them in my desk drawer.

National Braille Press
http://www.nbp.org
has some good and easy-to-use Braille or e-book versions of books on doing
work in databases, particularly Excel spreadsheets. They've also got a book
on Twitter in case you're not familiar with how to use that.

When you can't find the info in a book, a Google search can often get you
what you need, as well as hints for doing things without a mouse. Freedom
Scientific has lots of information on keyboard shortcuts for JAWS.

One of the most challenging things I've had to learn is how to work around
times when the directions say something like: "Hover your mouse over the
image ..."

If you're using JAWS, the key combination to accomplish the same task is
Insert-Shift-F1. You'll open a pane that's got way more information than you
need (stuff about what kind of fonts, colors, and coding were used in the
creation of the element you've accessed). Use the down arrow to find the
line that begins with something like: "Title" and, assuming you're using
JAWS, you'll get all the text content read aloud. (In my office, I use this
to reveal full text of past activity notes in recipient records on our
on-line database and user application.)

PDF files are still hit or miss; sometimes, they read great with a
screen-reader, other times they're impossible!

Hope some of this is helpful, and best of luck on your interview.

Stephanie