[nabs-l] Line Ups

Kolby Garrison kolbygarrison at triad.rr.com
Mon Dec 1 02:38:31 UTC 2008

Hannah, Sarah, and all,
You are not alone in feeling the way that you do about asking for help or
refusing help when it is offered to you. I struggled with the same thing all
through High School, and even in to my 1st semester of College. I learned
very quickly that sometimes accepting help and even asking for assistance is
nothing to be ashamed of, because sighted people do the same thing as well.
I am currently a Sophomore in College, and I am working with my 1st Guide
Dog. Sunny has opened so many doors for me, but I still have trouble asking
for help and accepting help because of wanting to be independent. I received
Sunny in June of this year, and transitioning from the cane to the Guide Dog
was somewhat difficult for me. I needed a lot of help on campus in the
beginning, despite having worked my routes with Sunny multiple times over
the summer. Though I will not ever go back to using the cane again and will
be partnering with a Guide Dog for the rest of my life, I now realize that
asking for help and accepting help is a necessary part of being independent
and that in fact my doing so enhances my independence.
Thank you for letting me share my 2 cents worth,
Kolby