[nabs-l] Line Ups

Harry Hogue harryhogue at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 1 03:39:20 UTC 2008

Colby,

I used a guide dog for a couple of years, when I realized that he was too interested in being a puppy, and in the interest of total honest I was probably a bit immature/lazy.  What I later came to realize, though, is that I had gotten a guide dog for the wrong reasons - I thought he would solve all my problems.  What threw me was the lack of any kind of tactile feedback--all my landmarks were gone!  <smile> I never could get the hang of that.  Not discouraging you at all -- I'm just interested why you decided to get a dog?  I thought I knew at sixteen and had the right idea, but looking back at twenty-two I realize that I was going about it all wrong.

And yes, I'll agree with the other person who said that a guide dog does make a great conversation piece--it also, as I found out first hand, can require you to have the police called when restaurant owners don't understand the laws about service animals--and my dad and I still got to sit in the back of the restaurant at a table by ourselvves, although I was too tired of trying to explain to the man about the dog at that point that I let it go.  LOL

I also understand about frustration with routes, but one thing builds on another and on another and so forth.  One day you will look up and realize that you know more than you thought you did.

Take care all,

Harry