[nabs-l] Is this really innovation? (Was: The Optelec FarView)

Hope Paulos hope.paulos at maine.edu
Sat Dec 6 22:36:02 UTC 2008

Hello, Joseph.  I wouldn't think they'd let  you use this device
to take a test provided by ETS.  I'm totally blind, so can't
can't get  any use out of this device.  Smile.

<nabs-l at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 12:44:12 -0800
>Subject: [nabs-l] Is this really innovation?  (Was: The Optelec
FarView)

>Oh look, it's a digital camera, with crappy storage and video
output to a
>nearby screen.  I've got a Canon that will do most of this stuff,
although
>you really have got to hold it very still if you want a clear
picture of
>text on a whiteboard across the room, but you can do it.  It'll
store
>thousands of pictures on a single SD card too, not 100.  It's got
a bigger
>screen than my digital camera, but I bet it's got a lot bigger
price tag
>too.  Any takers?

>Also, how many people on the nabs list have taken or will take a
test
>provided by ETS?  They're not going to let you use a device that
can take
>pictures of the test!

>Joseph

<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001W_9jnAkMsosDa__HCpjPGhrz0G7KJ64hpCkVD
epK1IZIevXKwKX6gZk0RY6CTSEsJDXKX0DH9idXLstt68uD7SESL9rW5vgCuyXT8d
W5Bms=
>> www.Optelec.com

>> November 28th, 2008
>> For more information, contact:
>> Kelly O'Neill
>> Marketing Coordinator
>> KellyO at Optelec.com
>> 800-826-4200 x227

<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001W_9jnAkMsos3boUVk3ze9vd3-LPpUqVEXMTz6
Vb_dKwVH1df43Jkr36gsR0SaQyIuk2V6q0BXLfLHBEvbwdHWU0Z6-SuD7COjJ3u2g
fWfkVLht_a9708PM_KbRfgH3EY5wuKGKb3VowZCsVwt8d0jf9HXlSH2xZuEPTv3_R
6jHaU8E1jn_9mZ4orY2sFOCBJghh9PlSlfSs=
>> Optelec FarView

>> Optelec Announces Innovated Near and Distance
>> Low Vision Solution with the FarView

>> Vista, CA, November 28th, 2008 Optelec, the world leader in
innovative
>> and assistive technology for visually impaired and blind people,
>> announced the release of FarView, a portable and powerful
magnification
>> solution that redefines how low vision users are able to access,
store,
>> review and share information.

>> The unique design of the Optelec FarView and incomparable
functionality
>> of near and distance viewing sets a new standard for other
portable and
>> desktop devices currently on the market.

>> Using a centralized, auto focus camera and six different viewing
modes
>> the FarView allows the user to view from a distance as well as
up close.
>> Viewing notes on the board, reading the menu at coffee shops,
and
>> traveling independently has never been easier!

<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001W_9jnAkMsos3boUVk3ze9vd3-LPpUqVEXMTz6
Vb_dKwVH1df43Jkr36gsR0SaQyIuk2V6q0BXLfLHBEvbwdHWU0Z6-SuD7COjJ3u2g
fWfkVLht_a9708PM_KbRfgH3EY5wuKGKb3VowZCsVwt8d0jf9HXlSH2xZuEPTv3_R
6jHaU8E1jn_9mZ4orY2sFOCBJghh9PlSlfSs=
>> Optelec FarView

>> The FarView enables the user to store the data for up close
review in
>> more detail at any time.  Capture a complete document or
multiple pages of
>> a book or magazine.  Up to 100 images can be stored on the
device and
>> accessed at any given moment.  Stored images can be adjusted to
the users
>> needs via an integrated menu.  Ergonomic scrolling buttons help
the user
>> to navigate through any document easily and comfortably, with an
>> auto-scroll function which brings the user back to the beginning
of the
>> text line within a snap.  Adjust images and text to the needs of
the user
>> though rotation, picture alignment, contrast and brightness
settings.

>> Also, FarView offers the user flexibility to connect to an
external
>> monitor or PC, encouraging the user to access printed text and
photos
>> comfortably and efficiently, and share this information with
colleagues,
>> friends and family.

>> We are ecstatic to be bringing a product such as FarView to an
industry
>> thirsting for innovation, states Michiel van Schaik, CEO of
Optelec
>> Holding B.V.  We at Optelec are 100% committed to combining the
>> intelligence within a product with a flexible, powerful design
in order
>> for the consumers of our products to exponentially receive more
>> functionality for the money that they spend.

>> Whether the needs are for on-the-go portability, viewing street
signs,
>> storing class notes, reviewing important documents, reading the
morning
>> newspaper or sharing information the Optelec FarView puts
freedom and
>> independence in the palms of the user.

>> Optelec expects to be delivering FarView to users in January,
2009.
>> Contact your local Optelec distributor or sales office for more
>> information and pricing details.

>> About Optelec US
>> Improving the quality of life of visually impaired and dyslexic
people,
>> reaching out with simple and effective solutions, Optelec was
founded in
>> 1985 and is recognized as the worldwide market leaders in
providing
>> innovative solutions for the blind, visually impaired and
learning
>> disabled.  The companys flagship ClearView+ line has led the
industry in
>> high quality, innovative products that effectively improve the
daily
>> lives of the visually impaired.  In January 2007, Tieman U.S.,
Holding
>> Company to Optelec U.S.  spun off ShopLowVision.com

(<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001W_9jnAkMsovstdyAugFOFd8QMlu_HoXOc1Hq
87ohwBBw5pkKlTivlMhqHfNTeDOc6UgAvUjyTdNLlSpWKGncaPvC27d4PDbaaRRb-
2SReNRT-xbVezmTgA==>www.ShopLowVision.com)
>> and LowVision.com

(<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001W_9jnAkMsovwULHfQQ-YVAqy6-DXFO89Yiky
Yoi1umYNubskrv_nQ-Vh8qSu4sKIlKpAd_Jgj5XADccAlpau53wuMhjymQjZb3pMY
AI6JG6XU5sWrQJ0cA==>www.LowVision.com)
>> as a sister companies, providing the one-stop-shop for optical,
>> non-optical and daily living aids products solutions and
education for
>> eye care professionals and consumers.  Visit us at

<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001W_9jnAkMsosDa__HCpjPGhrz0G7KJ64hpCkVD
epK1IZIevXKwKX6gZk0RY6CTSEsJDXKX0DH9idXLstt68uD7SESL9rW5vgCuyXT8d
W5Bms=>www.optelec.com.

<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001W_9jnAkMsos3boUVk3ze9vd3-LPpUqVEXMTz6
Vb_dKwVH1df43Jkr36gsR0SaQyIuk2V6q0BXLfLHBEvbwdHWU0Z6-SuD7COjJ3u2g
fWfkVLht_a9708PM_KbRfgH3EY5wuKGKb3VowZCsVwt8d0jf9HXlSH2xZuEPTv3_R
6jHaU8E1jn_9mZ4orY2sFOCBJghh9PlSlfSs=
>> Optelec FarView

>> www.Optelec.com

>> www.Optelec.com

>> www.Optelec.com

>> Optelec.com | 3030 Enterprise Court, Suite C, Vista, CA 92081 |
800-826-4200

<http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?m=1101847022236&ea=dav
id.b.andrews%40state.mn.us&a=1102335134419>Forward
>> email

<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?p=un&v=001jYqn93s1IRDa3
ol8jiKMOxTVOVbjSvByA6bMCFS4PEFdofamiA-xWdh36SKW7_saYdSdumRdwBEsT_
VkpH6dGQ%3D%3D
>> Safe Unsubscribe

>> This email was sent to david.b.andrews at state.mn.us by
>> <mailto:noreply at optelec.com>noreply at optelec.com.

<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?p=oo&v=001jYqn93s1IRDa3
ol8jiKMOxTVOVbjSvByA6bMCFS4PEFdofamiA-xWdh36SKW7_saYdSdumRdwBEsT_
VkpH6dGQ%3D%3D>Update

<http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp>Privacy
>> Policy.

>> Optelec U.S., Inc.  | 3030 Enterprise Court | Suite C | Vista |
CA | 92081

for nabs-l:
>>http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/carter.tj
oseph%40gmail.com