[nabs-l] walking at graduation

Patricia bcsarah.fan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 21:36:31 UTC 2008

Hi Harry:

I haven't graduated university yet but I did walk across the stage by myself in high school. like Sarah, I had someone there who was in my teacher advisory (as that is how they went through the students). she did sighted guide with me up to the stairs, and then i would stand behind her and lightly put my hand on her shoulder (asking her of course if I could do that). when she went up I located the stairs with an ID cane I borrowed (I was told it would look cute and more dainty than a regular mobility cane for this purpose) and then once my name was called I walked up and across the stage to greet those people I needed to.

I did practice in the rehearsal and a couple of times before that, as before hand I was going to try and see if I could memorize the route from my chair to the stage but this option seemed best for me. I wasn't about to go up with soemone sighted guide, as I did that for a spontaneously received award and I didn't feel good about it that time.

HTH,

Patricia