[nabs-l] mac books

Corbb O'Connor corbbo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 18:45:40 UTC 2008

As a MacBook Pro user, I agree with Christopher: VoiceOver is very
much still a work in progress. The Internet works pretty well, if
you're using Safari, but Firefox is not accessible at all. Email is
great, and Mac OS X Mail is 100 percent accessible. iTunes is getting
there. And moving around files and folders works. But Microsoft Office
2004 isn't accessible -- I'm not sure about the latest version, as I
don't have the money for that right now!

Here's my short review: if you have some residual vision and use that
to navigate your computer, a Mac is far better with its equivalent of
Zoom Text (they call it Screen Magnification and its available out-of-
the-box on all machines in System Preferences, Accessibility).
However, if you're somebody who relies more on a screen reader than
upon magnification, you're better off with a PC, for JAWS is far
superior. Maybe in a few years that will change, but we can only hope!
Oh, and one more thing: emulating a PC is possible on the Mac, but
don't expect it to be like having a PC -- most programs are still
comparatively slower, especially if you try to run access technology
on them. I use Parallels to run Kurzweil and it works -- most of the
time -- but it's also sometimes very buggy and slow.

Best wishes--
Corbb

-----
Corbb O'Connor
studying at the National University of Ireland, Galway