[nabs-l] Florida Association of Blind Students (FABS)

Jamie Principato blackbyrdfly at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 02:11:49 UTC 2008

This is bittersweet. I'm both glad and disappointed to find that I'm not the
only one who has noticed this. Disappointed for obvious reasons. We can do
better than this. Glad because it means I'm not going crazy, lol, and may
actually have some backing to try to improve things. I know many blind
students across Florida. I have friends in college who are finding they need
to drop their majors because the higher level maths aren't being made
accessible for them. I know others who are being forced to use unreliable
paratransit either because the local vocational rehabilitation centers wont
provide them with better mobility training or because they have been lead to
believe it is the only way they can travel. I know students who are
setteling for community college because their local high school vision
department would not properly accomodate them, sheltering rather than
helping, and therefore they could not earn all the required credits for
university admission. I experienced first hand a rehabilitation day center
that is so corrupt, they spent a month and a half teaching their partially
sighted teenage group how to microwave hot pockets, insisting that we need
to learn to do these simple things because cooking full meals for ourselves
is just too difficult and dangerous for "the visually impaired". This center
in particular spends more time focusing on "coping with vision loss and what
you can't do" than it does showing you how much you can do regardless of
your vision impairment. I could go on forever about this one issue, but it
is these and other things that made me want to join FABS, and now make me
more eager to make FABS a strong, active force in the blindness community of
Florida.