[nabs-l] Legal Advice

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 00:00:35 UTC 2008

Hi Eric,

You certainly can send your prof a letter informing him that his
failure to give you the exam materials in a timely manner are a legal
problem, for his own education and hopefully improved treatment of
future blind students he may have. Whether you want to go further by
taking legal action or seeking some kind of compensation is a complex
decision. Legal action or lower forms of  advocacy (such as
complaining to a dean or department head) can be more powerful than
just talking to the individual professor about your concerns.
However, advocacy and especially legal battles can require a great
deal of time, effort, and money, and may or may not be effective. It's
key to decide whether the gain is worth the cost especially if you
will probably never interact with this prof again or suffer further
consequences of his delinquency.

In general, when deciding which advocacy battles to fight there are a
couple of factors to consider. First, is this a repeat offense or a
one-time breach of the agreement? Repeated forgetfulness or failure to
accommodate is in my mind a more stubborn problem than one slip. Not
that this makes his behavior OK, but some professors are simply too
lax about keeping up with their email--and are not intentionally
slighting their blind students. Another factor to consider is whether
the delay in receiving materials impacted your grade on the exam or in
the course.

Of course we want all our professors to comply with the ADA all the
time, regardless of whether or not their noncompliance hurts us
permanently, but some breaches are more serious and deserving of
remedy than others.

In any case I commend you for doing the most important thing of all
and that is using a backup method to get your assignment done. Blind
students sometimes get in the habit of relying on just one method for
access and then let their grades slip when the method fails, blaming
the failure on their poor performance or doing things like dropping
courses instead of trying to find an alternative solution. No method
is perfect and an important skill for blind students to have is the
willingness to use more than one technique to get their assignments
read and completed. Using a scanner is a good example of a secondary
method to use when electronic materials aren't available. Another
technique that's often neglected is the use of human readers. Readers
have their disadvantages and aren't always ideal as a primary method
for accessing material, but if your technology breaks down or
professors or DSS fail to provide access in a timely manner, finding a
reader is always an option, and a better one than dropping classes or
not doing the work.

Arielle