[nabs-l] Philosophical Terminology

Corbb O'Connor corbbo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 13:03:19 UTC 2008

Hi Karen,

Use of the term "visually impaired" is a marketing strategy. Many
students with some residual vision may shy away from a group that says
"blind," thinking that it is strictly for those who are totally blind.
This is the same case when working with seniors, when we say "for
seniors dealing with vision loss" as opposed to "blind seniors."
Explaining the NFB philosophy in a nutshell on a group or marketing
literature is tough, and I believe that is why we used that term. I've
copied Rosy Carranza from the National Center on this list, and hope
she might be able to provide some clarification.

Corbb O'Connor
studying at the National University of Ireland, Galway