[nabs-l] Philosophical Terminology

Antonio Guimaraes aguimaraes at nbp.org
Wed Nov 5 17:06:23 UTC 2008

Hello,

I think it is important to recognize that not every person will identify
themselves as blind. It is difficult to comprehend why a young elementary
school student would resist braille just because she can see 5 feet in front
of her face. Yet, I've seen this happen, and witnessed people, professionals
in the field, parents, and those who should know better, avoid the child's
resistance to learning braille.

Do we drill into the student that they are blind, and will be blind, and
that there is no way to avoid it? Or, do we invite that person into a group,
where they can learn the philosophy that it is respectable to be blind?

At what point do we give up our long held beliefs? I hope that we do not
give them up. I also think that opening up the door by allowing a more
diverse language, we participate in the blindness field without the militant
perception.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Antonio Guimaraes