[nabs-l] Victory for Antonio

Antonio Guimaraes aguimaraes at nbp.org
Wed Nov 5 14:36:17 UTC 2008

I want to thank Joe Orozco for such spirited debate. It has been
interesting, and no doubt enriching for me to go at it with a person who I
have observed, and admired since the beginning. It's been a real exercise in
building my arguments, and trying to refute the ones from the other point of
view.

It is good to win, I can't deny it, yet, we do have a new president who
still has to face all of the problems he's wanted to face by running the
election. I sure hope Obama is allowed to take this country, and it's
governance completely, and creatively.

Thanks to the people who participated in the threads, and especially for the
list moderators. We know how to be civil, and you've allowed us to do so,
since there wasn't much said in the form of attacks, and immaturity.

I guess I did win, because I happened to pick the winner, but I'd like to
think that this country has won too. I would hope our president elect will
do a good job, but we'll soon find out. I do not expect politics to change
much in Washington--there will continue to be divisiveness, controversy,
differences, heated debates, and all of the same things one observes if she
or he's looking at all.

McCain was gracious in his speech, and Obama humble in his. Let's see if
this can be extended for some time. I think of Obama as an inspirer, and of
McCain as a compromiser. I believe he would have disappointed the republican
base had he won. If you heard the speeches last night, you would have
noticed much rumbling, and booing, and opposition, and disapproval, and
disrespect for the president elect during McCain's conceding speech. This
kind of reaction will not go away, but the respect, and appreciation McCain
showed, even when losing, is the spirit of diplomacy, and respect. this is
to be commended.

thanks, and see you in Detroit.

Antonio Guimaraes