[nabs-l] Trouble Using Computers on Campus

Elizabeth lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 6 05:06:37 UTC 2008

Hello,

It has been a while since I posted a message on here, but I welcome your ideas and opinions on a situation I have encountered while using computers on campus. I may be wrong here, but I have always thought that if a college provided services such as access to computers on campus to sighted students, then they should provide this same service to blind students as well. I have tried searching for what the college or disabilities office should be responsible for in terms of providing technology on campus, but so far I have not been able to find anything on this subject.

Currently the community college I am attending is attempting to provide access to accessible technology on campus such as screen readers, scanning software, and Braille translation. However, the college is failing miserably at installing these programs correctly on the computer and keeping them up to date. They said they would have everything up and running before the beginning of the semester, but I am still having problems using computers on campus.

I am not quite sure how to go about solving this problem. Is the college and the disabilities office responsible for providing accessible computers on campus for blind students? And if so, what can I do to ensure that my college or disabilities office installs accessible technology properly so that I can actually use a computer on campus without receiving error messages on technology that is not installed properly?

Elizabeth