[nabs-l] accommodations in public school

H. Field missheather at comcast.net
Tue Nov 11 23:32:27 UTC 2008

Dear Franandah,
Have you contacted the lady Kerry Gilmer gave you the number to call.

She will be able to help you get what you need. You are not the only
student who has been denied what they need to get an education that
allows them to reach their potential. Advocates are very used to
schools and parents that say no. They no how to show people other
alternatives. Your parents don't want to admit that you are blind,
obviously. They need to see that by refusing to let you use your
blindness techniques, they are holding you back from becoming all you
can be in life.

Kerry has already told you haow helpful this lady will be. You may
feel like there is no possibility that things will change. If you are
left to do it for yourself, they probably won't. However, with the
help of an experienced advocate to assist you, it is most likely that
things will change dramatically.

If you are serious about getting braille and other accomodations then,
I suggest that you take the next step and call the lady who can help.
It is unlikely that anyone on this list can help you with mere
suggestions because it relies on you to carry them out. As you keep
telling us that no one will listen to you, there doesn't seem much
point in trying to give you suggestions that you won't try because you
don't believe anything will change.

Of course, if you don't want to contact the advocate lady, you could
just wake up tomorrow morning and tell everyone that you can't see
anything clearly. Fail all vision tests and read and look at nothing
to do with school work or that requires close looking. No one can look
into your head and know what you can see. Don't even try to read, just
screw up your eyes and say nothing is clear. This is basically true
with your restricted vision. Your parents will then have to reconsider
options.

I hope you call the advocate and let her help you learn how to help
yourself.

Best regards,

Heather Field