[nabs-l] accommodations in public school

Buddy W. wurmlord at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 12 14:09:55 UTC 2008

Frandandah,

As others here have suggested, an advocate is a great idea, your eye doctor
would be a great choice or maybe they can recomend someone to help.  You
might also try putting your argument into a perspective that your parents
and the school can understand.  Here is one similar to what I used on an
instructor earlier this year when she said that I could use ANY computer
with a windows operating system because it has a magnifier, and I shouldn't
and couldn't use my laptop.  I have changed it to fit your situation.

Which is a more efficient use of available resources for your parents?
Pushing the car to work every day, or putting gas in the tank and driving
the car to and from work?  Both of them get the job done, but which one is
faster and easier?  Of course, we must first assume they have already
learned to drive.

Now put that to use with Braille.  Once you learn it, your speed will
gradually increase, just like a person learning to drive a car becomes more
experienced and confident over time.  Now which is faster?  Tracking a
single letter in a word at a time like my vision allows (my only eye is
20/600 with only a 6 degree visual field), constantly losing my place,
usually taking about an hour or so to read an average page. or using
Braille, and being able to read that same page in just a few minutes?  Of
course using Braille is much faster and efficient, just like using gasoline
and driving the car is much faster and easier than trying to push it.

I can understand how frustrated you must feel, but making threats tends to
put people on the defensive, and defensive people tend to be more close
minded, and not willing to listen to your argument or point of view.

I wish you luck,
Buddy
"Self is the only prison that can ever bind the soul." -- Henry Van Dyke