[nabs-l] NFB Training Centers

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 05:32:49 UTC 2008

Sarah, let me offer most of what I wrote on another list just days ago on
the subject of what I got out of the Colorado Center for the Blind:

I am an alum of the Colorado Center, like many on this list.  I can tell
you honestly that the CCB did not teach me all of the things I learned
while I was in Colorado, but the experience put me in the right places at
the right times to leave the center a far stronger individual than I
arrived.

When I first went to the CCB, I was a cluttered, disorganized "high
partial" who depended extensively upon my vision (which I already had
accepted as mostly useless).  I had accepted the label of blind, and I
used a cane, though not well.  I couldn't cook, didn't really clean up
after myself, and was afraid to cross streets in sunlight.  Busy streets
made me nervous even at night when I can see better.  I didn't know
Braille, and I had never really used tools other than for fixing computers
before.

I came back from the CCB still cluttered and disorganized (it'll take more
than eight months to change that in my case!), but I now know how to clean
up after myself.  I can cook well enough to feed myself, and the food I
make is good, if simple.  I can do and have done basic home repairs on my
own, and I know that I can use the tools in a shop safely.

While I never got near the record for Braille speed, I did set the record
for fastest Braille reader who had never known Braille as an adult--165
words per minute.  Closer to 250 if I can predict the words as on a warm
read or a Homerian epic or something.  (How many times would I have to
read "wine dark sea" before I began to read the phrase automatically?)  I
can say with certainty that I've since lost almost all of that speed
because I have not had the opportunity to practice in three month
stretches over the course of graduate school.  But you know, I can still
feel the dots, if more slowly now, and I know my contractions--I can get
it back, any time I am ready.

And then there are travel skills.  I've got some of the best you'll find
anywhere.  Some blind people wield their canes with big, heavy-handed,
clumsy movements.  I use very light, highly controlled movements in a
style that is uniquely my own, developed because the way taught by Brent
and Eric hurt my hand at first.  Eric Woods showed me how to attend to
distant sounds and track information available from sometimes several
blocks away.  I had a natural talent for direction-tracking, and very
sharp ears once I began learning what to listen for, but the rest was
learned.  Combined with problem-solving skills I learned years ago and a
few basic tips, it's not really a boast that I'm one of the best travelers
to come out of any training center.

Just about everything I did is achievable by any blind person who really
wants it badly enough.  There's nothing really that special about me.  It
is a testament to the NFB that a guy who is pretty clever can go from
virtually no skills to mastery level performance in just eight months.
Most state-run centers would have told me 40 words per minute was all an
adult Braille learner could do or that there were just some intersections
that aren't safe to cross or that one thing or another just wasn't
practical.

At the CCB, the usual answer to the impractical thing was, "Okay.  That's
gonna be hard, but okay.  How much are you willing to invest to make it
happen?"  My answer was whatever it took.  I won't lie to you, it took a
lot.  But I put the effort in, and look what I got for it!

I believe that what a person will get out of the Colorado Center for the
Blind is a function of what they put in to it.  The thing is, you'll
always get more out than you put in.

Hope that helps Sarah!  I will be happy to answer any questions you have.

Joseph