[nabs-l] research methods

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 18 03:24:58 UTC 2008

Serena,

Research is a struggle for me.
You say you used librarians to find books.  Did you have to meet one to one
for this?

Books are hard copy sources and require readers.  I am finding I had to use
books as well for my senior paper on child obesity.  Articles will focus on
one thing and one study whereas books have a little of everything: causes,
prevalence, and treatment.
So once you have the book(s) how do you direct the reader to get what you
want?  I've asked them to read contents and headings so far but its so
challenging.  For instance we read ten pages of a chapter before I realized
it wasn't going to be useful.

Ashley