[nabs-l] money rights

Sarah Jevnikar sarah.jevnikar at utoronto.ca
Fri Nov 21 06:22:04 UTC 2008

I agree with you completely, Priscilla.
This is an interesting topic. In Canada we do have some symbols to identify
money, which certainly helps, but it needs some work. First, the numbers
aren't actually on the bill - a certain number of Braille cells indicates
the denomination. These can be worn down when the bill is old too. I can
imagine the dollar bill makes things a bit more complicated - that always
confused me when I was in the States because I always thought I had more
money than I did because I had lots of bills - all singles. LOL But I guess
you guys don't have to worry about heavy change as much, without the 1- and
2-dollar coins like we have. smile
I don't see why something isn't done about your bills at all, though.
Technology is infallible as we all know, so I don't see why gadgets will
solve all the issues. I also understand American money is all one colour,
which makes it confusing for everyone, but especially those with low vision.
Each denomination of Canadian money is a different colour, and the numbers
are dark on a light background on one side, and light on a dark background
on the other side of the bill. I don't want to sound snobby or anything but
I think these adaptations are worth considering for all currency.
I hope that Obama does something about this though - it's important.
Thanks for reading this near-novel,
Sarah