[nabs-l] Computerized Chess game as training in visualizing spacial concepts

Harry Hogue harryhogue at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 23 07:40:56 UTC 2008

Hello everyone,

Something just occured to me.  I enjoy playing chess, although it's been quite a number of years since I've played (lack of interest where I am), and I started thinking about the computerized version out there like WinBoard and the game that was posted here from the company in Australia (Blind Gamers, I think it was).  This lead me to think about O&M training -- how important being able to visualize spacial concepts is.  Since when moving chess pieces on the computer is done through numerical values (king to e3, for example), and you have to keep in mind where the other pieces are in relation to your own, would this be if not a good way of training someone with visual concepts, at least an interesting way?

If this makes no sense, e-mail me off list and I'll try and explain better.  I had originally thought to post simply asking if anyone was interested in playing a game of chess over the internet (the offer still stands), but then thought aobut the O&M benefits and couldn't resist posting about them.

I know for me I need work on visualizing the environment, and I think this may be why in games like Shades of Doom, or any games where you're essentially moving through an environment or having to keep track of where other things are in relation to you, I don't do so well.  Let me know what you think.  It's now officially 2:40 am, so my logic may have left for the night!

Take care!

Harry