[nabs-l] 10 Best Tips for High School Students

Rania raniaismail04 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 11:58:23 UTC 2008

I think they should learn how to scan there own documents and know how to
use jaws. I didn't know how to do that and using jaws on a computer in high
school was not pushed even tho I was getting training on how to use jaws at
home and did use jaws a little in high school. I found out that my high
school had kerswale but it never got used because know one new how to use
it. Depending on ware you go to school and the amount of classes you are
taking it might be better to do all of your scanning your self. I have to do
that since I don't have any one to help me with it. You also have to work
with how the scanned documents come out because not every thing is going to
scan well.Be prepaired to have a limited number of things brailled or none
at all because in college you don't see much of it at all if any. I can say
that I kind of new to expect that but I didn't really understand that until
I actually got there. Record your classes if you feel that will help you in
addission to taking notes in class. as for looking for colleges look for the
school that you want to go to that has the major you are interested in. If
you are the first blind student to ever attend at that school have an idea
or know what accomadations you need. Don't be afraid to ask questions of
your instructors  and anyone else helping you. Learn how to advicate for
your self. If something doesn't work try to find a way to work with your
instructor to come up with another way that you both agree on so you can get
the job done. Have fun! even tho it is a lot of hard work I enjoy what I am
doing.
Rania,