[nabs-l] 10 Best Tips for High School Students

Hope Paulos hope.paulos at maine.edu
Fri Oct 24 14:13:02 UTC 2008

Hello Rania.  I have to agree with you.  In high school I never
really learned to advocate for myself until I started college.  I
learned to scan my documents in high but didn't have to do so.  I
had a full-time transcriber to do this for me.  Doing my school
work was enough of a challenge at the time.  Now that I've
graduated from high school, I urge current high school students
to not let teachers give you a "free ride." My teachers didn't
know how to teach me because I was the first blind student at my
high school.  They let by with a's and b's when I was doing D
work.  Don't let that happen.  It will come back to bite you in
the long-run.  I am in my senior year of college now and will
graduate in May.  I currently have a 3.8 GPA and it's all earned.
Please.  Enjoy the time you have in high school, but work hard.
Sometimes, as blind people, we have to work twice as hard as our
sighted counterparts.  It may take us longer to do our
assignments because we have to san documents, etc.  Don't let it
stop you.
hope and Beignet

<nabs-l at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 07:58:23 -0400
>Subject: Re: [nabs-l] 10 Best Tips for High School Students

>I think they should learn how to scan there own documents and
know how to
>use jaws.  I didn't know how to do that and using jaws on a
computer in high
>school was not pushed even tho I was getting training on how to
use jaws at
>home and did use jaws a little in high school.  I found out that
my high
>school had kerswale but it never got used because know one new
how to use
>it.  Depending on ware you go to school and the amount of classes
you are
>taking it might be better to do all of your scanning your self.
I have to do
>that since I don't have any one to help me with it.  You also
have to work
>with how the scanned documents come out because not every thing
is going to
>scan well.Be prepaired to have a limited number of things
brailled or none
>at all because in college you don't see much of it at all if any.
I can say
>that I kind of new to expect that but I didn't really understand
that until
>I actually got there.  Record your classes if you feel that will
help you in
>addission to taking notes in class.  as for looking for colleges
look for the
>school that you want to go to that has the major you are
interested in.  If
>you are the first blind student to ever attend at that school
have an idea
>or know what accomadations you need.  Don't be afraid to ask
questions of
>your instructors  and anyone else helping you.  Learn how to
advicate for
>your self.  If something doesn't work try to find a way to work
with your
>instructor to come up with another way that you both agree on so
you can get
>the job done.  Have fun! even tho it is a lot of hard work I
enjoy what I am
>doing.
>Rania,
"'California
<iabs-talk at nfbnet.org>;
<la-students at nfbnet.org>;
<mn-abs at nfbnet.org>;
<ncabs at nfbnet.org>;
<tabs at nfbnet.org>;
>"'Utah Students'" <uabs at nfbnet.org>; "Virginia Students"
><vabs at www.nfbnet.org
>Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2008 9:30 PM
>Subject: [nabs-l] 10 Best Tips for High School Students

>> Hello all,

>> I just discovered my mass mailing announcing the NABS web site
development
>> skipped a handful of student divisions.  You didn't miss
anything.  The
>> short of it is that I am working with the NABS board to launch
the
>> official
>> NABS web site in the next few months.

>> One of the items I am incorporating into the site is a
compilation of
>> quick
>> tip sheets on a number of subjects of interest to students, tip
sheets
>> generated based on your own personal experiences.  To start, I
am looking
>> for college students who can share their top ten best tips for
high
>> schoolers on the verge of applying for college.  What did you
look for in
>> college or university?  How should high schoolers prepare for in
the way
>> of
>> readers, accommodations, dealing with professors?

>> My own tip is this:

>> Learn how to use Microsoft Office.  Downloading illegal music,
swapping
>> e-mails and chatting on messengers is only going to get you so
far, and I
>> am
>> still surprised by the number of students who enter college
unable to
>> correctly format a research paper.  For that matter, learn how
to write,
>> or
>> at least spell, but one step at a time.

>> Send us your own tips.  One or ten.  Help us make this a good
list for
>> high
>> school students to peruse as they make preparations for this
very
>> important
>> step in their lives.  I'll work with the NABS board to
incorporate your
>> suggestions into a final document which will then be made
available on the
>> site when it is launched.

>> Regards,

>> Joe Orozco

>> "Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for
humanity."--James
>> M.
>> Barrie

info for