[nabs-l] 10 Best Tips for High School Students

Sarah Jevnikar sarah.jevnikar at utoronto.ca
Sun Oct 26 05:46:45 UTC 2008

I've written a lot about this topic, but it's important and I keep thinking
of good things based on what I'm hearing from other list members.
Don't limit yourself with your disability. Or in any other way either, but
disability is the focus of the tips. If you want to go away for school,
don't let anyone tell you no and base their reasoning on your blindness.
You'll have a lot of adjustments whether at home or away, and but so does
everyone else so there's lots of support around. Be adventurous. It's a
great skill that will help anyone in the future. Don't limit yourself to a
certain program of study because of your vision either. Aviation may be out
of the question for a cane user, but math/sciences aren't. Though they pose
different and sometimes greater challenges than an arts degree because of a
greater challenge in obtaining textbooks and such, it's not impossible. I
love arts degrees by the way - I'm not trying to incite a rivalry here. I
leave that to the engineers <grin>
Have a great day,
Sarah
P.S.: Orientation and mobility training preferably before classes begin is a
huge help. Again not something I had too much of but it would have been a
great help. But of course they're a lot of people around who can help if you
won't have a lesson for days and need a route learned ...