[nabs-l] Interest in law

T. Joseph Carter tjosephcarter at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 22:40:59 UTC 2008

Hi all,

Those of you who have known me for a long time will know that I've been a
lot of places, academically as well as geographically speaking.  The whole
time, I believe I have been building toward something--I haven't known
what exactly.  I think I will offer myself the short answer to my question
now, I should subscribe to the blind law list.  In the meantime, I'd like
some opinions--and please don't be afraid to share yours.  You don't have
to have known me for long to know that when I make up my mind about
something, I'm certainly willing to share mine!  *grin*

In order to get the kind of feedback I want, I probably need to provide
the background that got me where I am now.  Sorry, it's a little long.

For a time, I was a software developer.  Not a great one, perhaps, but I
could write an algorithm.  I did, however, learn to work with technology
extremely well, and I developed thinking, reasoning, and problem-solving
skills.  I learned to pick apart problems, but that's not really what a
"code monkey" does these days.  I didn't really enjoy the work that paid
my rent as well as the very similar work that didn't.  Plus, I lacked the
functional blindness skills and the social skills to succeed.

When these facts came to light, I took a career direction evaluation, and
chose one of the options far down on the list: Teacher.  I knew I wouldn't
survive the social dynamics in education, so I began a study of Psychology
since it is the science of explaining things I didn't understand in terms
that I did.  Through the grace of God and some assistance from a few
people in the right place at the right time, coupled with some experiences
at the Colorado Center for the Blind, basically that worked.

With my Psychology degree and a minor in Special Education, I'm now a
student in a Special Educator program whose curricula courses focus on
objective measurement, identifiable results, and reliable data.  My
advisor and favorite professor has told me that she is convinced that I
can be a fine special educator.  From her, this is high praise indeed and
is not lightly offered.  She does think, however, that I have other gifts
that would not be tapped to their potential in an elementary classroom,
and I think she's right.

More recently, I've learned of several cases where special education has
gone wrong.  Horribly wrong.  The causes are many: Apathy, irritation,
hostility, laziness, low expectations, and plain outright discrimination
on the basis of a disability, and that's just a start.  And lest you think
I'm talking about the schools here, I'm talking about teachers, parents,
and administrators and at every level from early intervention through
graduate school programs.  Most could be resolved by a good mediator or
arbitrator.  Some cannot be, and you need a good litigator.

I think a career connected to law is probably where this is going for me.
Being a reasonably religious person, this seems right because I believe
that God wastes nothing, and logically I can see that if I target
education or disability law, all of my experience is directly relevant to
my education, my experience, and my career.

Not only that, I remember as a teen looking over the course offerings at
places like MIT and being extremely excited just reading the titles.  I
find similar excitement today looking over the courses relevant to the
kinds of law related to disability, education, and possibly employment.
It seems like this is right for me because it gives me the chance to
educate the people who need it most (often teachers and parents) and to
seek real justice for people who often times have a hard time finding an
honest person who just wants to see the right thing happen.

If you're not asleep yet and can think of particular individuals I might
want to talk to, I'd love some suggestions.  I'd feel a little out of
place on the blind law list at the moment given that all I know are the
basics of the ADA, section 504, and IDEA that they teach teachers.

I'm also curious what you, my fellow nabsters, think about this potential
change in my education direction.  My student loan debt already scares the
bat snot out of me, and it'll double or triple if I go to law school!

I'd appreciate any input or advice.  I'd also like to know how a blind
person manages to get materials in a timely manner, which law schools have
been good to blind students, and which ones to avoid.  I'm in Oregon, and
we have three law schools, but little ties me to Oregon except a beautiful
woman I would expect to not see much for three years no matter where I go
to school.  She's got her own graduate program to attend to for most of
that time, and we have modern communication and travel at our disposal.

Thanks for reading, and in advance for sharing your thoughts.  *smile*

Joseph