[nabs-l] A common-since legislative idea

sarah.jevnikar at utoronto.ca sarah.jevnikar at utoronto.ca
Wed Apr 1 00:45:19 UTC 2009

That's a really good point. I have a health card that counts s photo
id but it's not universally accepted. I had to argue with this one guy
who kept asking me for a driver's license. I have a white cane which I
have to use all the time; there's no way I'd have a driver's license.
But Courtney (and others too) have made some good points for
low-vision potential drivers and that makes sense to me. I should have
thought of that before I dismissed the whole idea of a visually
impaired person as a driver as a bad idea. That was horrible grammar;
I apologize.
Sarah

Quoting Beth <thebluesisloose at gmail.com>:

> Blind people should have some form of ID, and the problem I have with
> the surrender of a driver's license is this: everyone asks for a
> "driver's license."  Not necessarily a Florida Identification Card.
> It has a number and that on it like a license, but stll not a license.
> Beth
>
> On 3/31/09, Nathan Clark <troubleclark at gmail.com> wrote:
>> anybody who is blind should not be driving.
>>

>> On 3/31/09, Jason Mandarino <blind.subscriber at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have had a few friends that are legally blind, but were not in a
>>> position
>>> of degenerative eye sight. Of course they were of the large print
>>> category,
>>> but never the less unattractive glasses and additional equipment as they
>>> would put it.
>>>
>>> My only issue with this is that it is yet another thing based on
>>> generalizations. I understand the point, but I thin that statements like
>>> these am what corner us into our own issues. We are easily caught up into
>>> what works for one or a few, and forget that blindness is just as
>>> individualized as personality. I am completely for the safety of others,
>>> but
>>> even when it comes to elderly people and their driver's license, perhaps
>>> it
>>> would be more appropriate to have them do something more than a written
>>> test
>>> and a brief eye exam.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, there is no expectation to even have driver's education in
>>> Georgia, so in my opinion the established safety nets are the true issue
>>> not
>>> more policies.
>>>
>>> Mandarino

>>> 2. In the summer of 2007 I bought a car.

>>> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/blind.subscriber%40g