[nabs-l] Field-based summer work with public land management agencies

Jim Reed jim275_2 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 2 03:49:50 UTC 2009

Hey all,

I have a problem and I wanted your opinions/suggestions. I chose a career in forestry my freshman year of college, proior to being diagnosed with RP. It wasnt until my junior year that I was diagnosed, and it wasnt until grad school that I resorted to using any adaptive equipment (zoom Text/CCTV).

The last several summers, I have worked for public land management agencies sichas MT State Parks and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). All of these jobs were field-based (outside), and required driving. Due to some recient changes in my vision, a rough experience driving in Las Vegas (I live in MT), a scary experience driving in a white-out, and the near roll-over I mentioned in my letter the other day, I am begining to come to the conclusion that driving isn't such a good idea.

But, there are no summer jobs in my field that are officed-based, and, it seems that in order to get the full-time/permant, office-based type positions (I use the term 'office-based' loosely), everyone has to "pay their dues" in the field. How am I supposed to do field work if I can't get to the field? (nearly all these jobs are solo, 1 man, 1 job).

I am not willing to forgo the 8 years of education I have achieved in pursuit of this career, but if I cant get to the field, I may have to switch my thinking regarding my career goals.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks,
Jim

"Ability is of little account without opportunity."

          -Napoleon Bonaparte