[nabs-l] Job seekers- disclosing disability

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 17:59:18 UTC 2009

As one who has been on both sides of the hiring process, let me pose
a scenario:

You've just been handed 30 résumés and given the instruction:  Choose
the three strongest candidates for interview.  You discount a few who
are under-qualified.  A couple look over-qualified and are discounted
because they are not likely to remain in the position for long.

Now the decision gets tough.  You have whittled down the applicants
to the best for the job, but there are still about a dozen.  You pare
it down further by investigating the reputation of their academic
institutions and previous employers.  Six or seven remain.  You think
you heard some hesitation when you spoke to references.  Now you have
four.

You have four candidates.  You believe that the company could hire
any one of them and be assured of a valuable employee.  Three of them
are going to get calls for interviews.  There's just one thing--one
of them has a disability, and talks about this in their cover letter.
You don't know what effect their disability will have on anything,
and thus far you have correctly and properly not even considered it.
This person's qualifications speak for themselves that the person can
do the job with some form of accommodations.

And yet, you just don't know for sure.  All that you do know for sure
is that this person raised a question in your mind that the law
forbids you to ask, and you're not really sure why.

I think we know who gets called for the interview, so I won't stretch
this out any further.  It turns out one of the other three people
also had a disability and disclosed at the time she was called for an
interview.  We hired her because we were convinced that she could do
the job and her disability was not a factor.

I tend not to disclose anything until the interview itself.  There
are dangers in this, dangers I have learned of only recently.  These
I do not know how to articulate in words yet, so I'll leave it at the
above scenario for now.

Joseph