[nabs-l] Could the NABS host a "get a job" webinare series?

Jim Reed jim275_2 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 18 18:45:34 UTC 2009

Hello,
I don't know about the rest of you, but I am in school to get a job. If others feel the same way, then I think it would be helpful for the NABS to use some of its resources putting together a series of Webinairs designed to teach us the most effective ways of getting and holding jobs as blind people. I don't know about you guys, but I really don't know anything about how the EOE, ADA, or other disability laws apply to me, or how I can use them to my advantage.

I would suggest the NABS hire academics, proffessionals, and advocates to host webinars geared toward
 disabuility employment issues. Some initial topic suggestions could be:
1. Reasonable accomidations
2. Disability law
3. disclosure stratagies
4. Public vs. private sector employment issues/stratagies
5. Other employment resources

These are just a few ideas I came up with off the top of my head. I think such a project would be a perfect fit for the NABS, as it furthers the education of its student members, and it promotes vocational oppertunities for students to use their education.

Jim

"Ignorance killed the cat; curiosity was framed."