[nabs-l] Jobs, interviews, resumes...

Jim Reed jim275_2 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 21 05:09:16 UTC 2009

Mr. Orozco,
Thank you for your reply, and yes it does help some. First, I just want a job, no, I want a career in public land management (I am refering to national parks, national forest, BLM land, etc). I want to be a productive contributor to society. I have no interest in suing anybody for discrimination. I just want to know about the laws so I know what is or isn't possible. For example, I asked 4 different people if hiring a driver was a reasonable accomidation, and I got 4 different versions of "maybe". The only common answer amongst the four individuals was "the agency defines what is reasonable." Yet, according to you and others, I should not disclose my blindness. It is ironic that the one entity with the answer to the question "is a driver a reasonable accomidation?", can't be asked.

In my opinion, a person should disclose their disability prior to a job offer (actually, it should be disclosed after the interview offer, but prior to the interview). In my opinion,  when a disabled person applies for a job, part of the interview should determine if and how the individual and the agency can work together so that the disabled person can do the job. In my mind, disclosing prior to the interview allows the the individual and the agency to begin a dialouge as to how you can be accomidated, that way when you go into the interview, the interviewer already knows that you can be successfully accomidated; knows the specific limitations of your diability, and as a reult, the fear of hiring a "dud" is lessened. Maybe my views are not realistic, I don't know

Additionally, it seems dishonest to not disclose prior to a job offer. True, you have a stronger legal leg to stand on if you disclose after the job offer, but is the employer going to be happy knowing that you began the employment relationship on what essentially amounts to a lie? Is the employer going to be willing to go out of his/her way to work with you when you begain the employment relationshiop on a lie? A intentional omission is a lie.

Regarding my additude towards my blindness, addmitedly it sucks. Blindness is not super-happy-fun-tiime, being blind sucks. Would I hire me? No, I would not hire me. Its not that I wouldnt hire me because I am blind, I wouldnt hire me because I represent an additional burden to the agency that a "normal" person does not.  It is called a DISability for a reason; I lack ability. My blindness doesnt make me "unique" or "special"; my blindness makes me a pain in the ass. Would you hire a hemorrhoid? There is no way to put a positive spin on blindness. You can polish a turd all day, but in the end, its stull a turd. Personally, honestly,  I don't truely believe that there is anything unique about me or my proffessional skill set that overcomes the fact that I am (or will be) a pain in the ass for my employer. I am banking on the fact that my forthcoming Masters degree will give me enough of an edge over my competition that an employer will be willing to
 accept the extra burden.

I don't know, maybe I am jaded by the fact that for my whole life I never really concidered myself as disabled. I always denied my blindess; until reciently I was driving and reading unmagnified text. In my mind, I was blind, but not disabled. Then, it reached a point where I couldnt pretend anymore. I am blind; I am disabled. I used to believe that if I worked hard enough I could do anything I wanted. Now, its like "whats the point on trying?" Have I really been reduced to the point of begging for jobs that I cant really physiclly do 100%? Am I really just a charity case? Try as I might, I cant find anything positive that has came out of being blind.

Thanks,
Jim

"Ignorance killed the cat; curiosity was framed."