[nabs-l] Jobs, interviews, resumes...

Liz Bottner liz.bottner at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 14:35:45 UTC 2009

Jim and all,

My view on when to disclose disability is this:
I would rather not say anything until the interview itself. When I walk in
with my dog or cane is when the people will know that I am blind. Up to that
point, I will be viewed as equally as any other candidate. It shouldn't
matter, anyway. I see no reason to give the potential employer a heads up
because I'm blind. After all, that doesn't mean anything. So what?

As far as proving you are a successful candidate, the interview, not anytime
before,  is the time to do just that. Sell yourself. Make the potential
employer aware that just because you are blind doesn't mean that you are any
less capable. If you have to, bring your laptop or electronic notetaker or
any other technology that you use and demonstrate that. In no time, any
doubts or fears that the employer has will hopefully be put to rest.

Jim, as far as you not seeing blindness in a positive light, that really is
unfortunate. True, it can be frustrating as anything, anyone would tell you
that, I would think. However, it doesn't have to be viewed as a burden or
negatively. There are so many of us out there that have gone through similar
situations, and we can network with and talk to one another to get advice or
just vent about what is a pain in the butt.

I will admit, I haven't necessarily had a lot of interview experience myself
as of yet, but all of what I said makes sense to me. Take from all of that
what you want. I hope it helps, though.

Take care, and feel free to contact me off list if you have any questions
about anything I've said.

Liz

email:
liz.bottner at gmail.com
Visit my livejournal:
http://unsilenceddream.livejournal.com
Follow me on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/lizbot
Consider helping blind and visually impaired Delaware students in the March
for Independence:
http://www.marchforindependence.org/site/TR/walk/General?team_id=2830&pg=tea
m&fr_id=1050