[nabs-l] "Blindness" vs. "Disability" a philosophical question?

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Wed Apr 22 09:36:42 UTC 2009

Jim,

For the most part, i don't necessarily think that exchanging one word
for the other makes a lot of difference since blindness is a disability
and since disabilities of any kind tend to create a knee-jerk reaction
from the public. On the other hand, blindness is probably one of the
most stigmatized types of disability. If nothing else, it's certainly
the most mythicized and romanticized perhaps second only to mental
illness. I personally prefer to say "my blindness" because I feel a
strong bond with the NFB culture, history, and the overall experience
of blindness as a minority group. I'm proud of my herritage and so
therefore feel no shame in mentioning it. That's just me.